The Robinson’s Ice Cream Ulster Open, supported by Lisburn & Castlereagh City Council, took place in Lisburn Racquets Club on Saturday and Sunday the 27/28th November. The weekend featured a packed competition with 15 events taking place across various categories and age groups, ensuring matches for every ability. Many players across the island of Ireland, as well as players from England and Wales, travelled to Lisburn to compete in the popular event in the tournament calendar.
However the event’s big attraction for players and spectators alike was the appearance of He Zhiwen – a former world top 10 player, World Team Event winner with China and 4 time Olympian (representing Spain). Ireland’s own Sophie Earley led the women’s entry, and Paralympian Colin Judge was able to enter following the cancellation of his Bundesliga match in Germany. He Zhiwen can now add the Ulster Open Title to his many successes over the years, while Sophie added another Ulster Open Title to her growing successes, just before she left for the World Youth Championships in Portugal. James Skelton was awarded Ulster Player of the tournament, winning the U21 and U19 Boys singles, and receiving a special He Zhiweng shirt! Some compensation for James who lost to He Zhiwen in the Men’s Singles semi-final!
Congratulations to all the winners!
- Senior Men – He Zhiwen
- Senior Women – Sophie Earley
- Disability Senior – Aaron Mellows
- Masters Men – Daryl Strong
- Master Women – Nicola Frail
- Restricted Singles – Adam Faulkner
- U21 Men – James Skelton
- U21 Women – Mia O’Rahilly Egan
- Junior Boys – James Skelton
- Junior Girls – Maliha Baig
- Cadet Boys – Isaac Kingham
- Cadet Girls – Maliha Baig
- Mini Cadet Boys – Vincent Ni
- U11 Boys – Stefan Bonchev
- U11 Girls – Jane Wilson